Has anyone else felt like hiding from the world?
I internet for my job. Well, it’s part of my job. I do social media for a local business and I create local content for them and monitor all the various accounts. That means that I spend a lot of time on the computer and, specifically, on social media. This election cycle and aftermath has been disappointing for many reasons. Personally, it’s meant muting a bunch of people I had called friends. I want to respect their opinions but that’s hard to do when their opinions are hate filled and deny people basic human rights. Many people recommend stepping away from all the media and internets for self care. Great idea, unless the internet and social media are your job. I can only kind of step away from it over the weekend. But then I have my personal stuff to work on and no. Just no.
Some things that I’m trying out to help:
- A shit ton of my friends have been muted. I have unfriended a few. Those were mostly people that “friend” would be a loose description of. Someone that I know would be a better way of describing them.
- Last week, I installed a social fixer plugin for Facebook. It works in the Safari browser (and others). Among other things, you can use it to filter our political posts. This helps reduce the Facebook induced stress at work.
- I’m trying to go to bed at a reasonable hour at night. Of course, I’m typing this at 10:41 pm on a Sunday night, so that isn’t always successful. And, it occurs to me now that I still need to make the bed. Damn it.
- Meditation/mindfullness. Right now, I mostly meditate at night, in bed, just before sleep. It’s helped me get to sleep faster and sleep quality has gone up. During the day, my Apple watch pops up every 3 hours with it’s Breathe app. It only takes one minute to focus on breathing and clear the head before getting back to whatever I was doing before.
- I leave the office. Those Trump supporters that no one seems to know? I’m surrounded by them. A great many of my coworkers love the guy and, according to them, he has done no wrong so far. Ask them how we are going to force Mexico to pay for a wall. Sanctions. And they say it with a straight face. Point out that that will make their tequila cost more and they say, “Nope, Mexico doesn’t have the balls. They need us too much.” I don’t talk to them about it anymore. They start in about whatever and I’m out. Grab my camera and walk out, or just go for a short walk. If they’re still talking about it when I get back, grab my camera and go take pictures of cars.
- I bought an elliptical. Wait. No. That has nothing to do with this. That’s another story.
These are just things I’ve started recently and I’m sure I’ll be adding more ‘cause the crazy doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon. What about you? What are you doing to cope? Anything special or is it business as usual for you?