Rolling Stone magazine has created a list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. It has irritated some of my friends. I haven’t looked at the list extensively so I can’t speak to it’s contents nor its relevance. What I have found interesting is my friend, KillerShrew, and his decision to listen to the entire list!
KillerShrew announced his challenge on Facebook a few days ago. He set the following rules for himself:
- He will listen to them in no particular order.
- If he’s already listened to the album, he will listen to it again as part of the challenge.
- No time limit. It takes as long as it takes.
- He will only commit to listening to the original tracks of the album. If there is a special edition or reissue of the album with extra tracks on it, it is not necessary to listen to the extra tracks.
- He will listen to each album even if he can’t stand it.
Of course, it’s Facebook so he is sharing all his listening with his friends, which is groovy (his favorite word). KillerShrew has already started to make a good dent in the list and it has sparked some good musically inclined conversation. I’ve decided to join KillerShrew in listening to the entire list. I have set the following rules for myself.
- I will listen to the list in reverse order: 500 to 1.
- See rules 2-5 above.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go listen to an album from a genre of music I have historically hated. *sigh*